Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why isn't my squirrell trap working?

my trap looks like a miniature cat trap and i bought it but these squirrells don't go near it. im getting so mad im gonna get my grandfather's old shotgun out and shoot to kill those dumb little squirrells. you might save their life if you tell me how to get rid of them without killing them and making a mess in my front yard.





just kidding about killing them but seriously how do i make it work?Why isn't my squirrell trap working?
fix the trap so it won't catch them for a couple of days...find out a bait they like. I have luck with smearing peanut butter across a Ritz cracker...Sociable cracker...etc Some people have luck using cracked pecans and others will sprinkle bird seed over golf ball sized bit of peanut butter. After you chum with your bait and get them used to going in the trap you can fix it so it now catches themWhy isn't my squirrell trap working?
I have a ';Hav-a-Heart'; #3 trap that works very good. One problem to start was -- I would place a walnut in the trap and the squirrel would not see it and when he/she did - they would jump over the center trip plate. I then placed a 3'; X 3' X 1';piece of wood about two inches each side of the trigger plate. The squirrel would then jump over the wood and onto the trigger and ';Bingo'; Don't forget to set the lock, (if yours has one), so when the trap door closes - the squirrel cannot force it open - and they can hit it pretty hard.





Also mine has two trap doors - one on each end. I now leave one closed and set just the one.





It helps to place a walnut or two outside the trap so when they come after them they will see the walnuts on the inside.








I have caught 11 at a single parent neighbors house after they had chewed two holes into the attic. They were running around in there and a concern was - they may chew into the wiring or through the ceiling and fall down into a room?





Emptying the trapped squirrel into a large heavy duty trash bag helps to contain it until you can get rid of it.
Bait is important in catching squirrels. Use a combo of peanut butter and peanuts in the center of the trap. I've caught lots of squirrels and chipmunks with peanut butter. They love it and can smell it a mile away (not literally). If it is a two door trap, you may want to close one door. Squirrels are pretty quick and can jump through the trap before the doors close. It's much harder for them to back out quickly when one door is used (use the door that is directly triggered by the tray). Happy hunting.
Lar is right on the money.If you insist on trapping them or it.Squirrel is just a country rodent Much like a rat but with a furry tail.Good luck.Thanks for the two points.
  • living nature
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment